Author Archives: Starting Point
The following updated schedule shows all Law Of Attraction(LoA) and Healing With Sound (HwS) workshop offerings until end of year 2020. We hope to see many of you there!
- August 15 — Law of Attraction
- September 12 — Law of Attraction
- September 19 — Healing with Sound
- October 3 — Healing with Sound
- October 17 — Law of Attraction
- November 7 — Healing with Sound
- November 14 — Law of Attraction
- December 5 — Healing with Sound
- December 12 — Law of Attraction
Thank you, David Diamond
Note Updated Meeting Details:
OR Dial by location: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 848 1784 8874
OR Dial by location: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 892 5376 1873
To the entire Starting Point Family,
We miss you and hope that you are well and remaining safe. We look forward to the day we can all be under the same roof, but, until then, Vince has volunteered to do LIVE ZOOM Lecture services beginning Wednesday, April 15th. He will be doing it both Noon and 7 pm on Wednesdays and he hopes that you can join us.
The ZOOM lectures begin with a 9- part series entitled “The Nine Gifts of Gratitude,” reminding us of the power of gratitude. See below for links to the Zoom events. To see the lecture agenda, click here.
Series 1: THE NINE GIFTS OF GRATITUDE:
Series 2: “CODEPENDENCY”
-17 What is Codependency?
-24 Family Systems & How they affect our life
-1 How to Play & have Fun
-8 Codependency & Relationships
-15 Roles of Codependency
-22 The 6 Stages of Recovery
-29 Self-parenting & Affirmations
-5 Family of Origin
-12 Discovering the Inner Child
Series 3: “SPIRITUAL JOURNEY THROUGH THE 12 STEPS OF SELF-PARENTING”
-19 Spirituality ~ Foundation of the Steps
-26 Step 1 ~ Powerless & Surrender
-2 Steps 2 & 3 ~ Let Go & Let God
-9 Steps 4 & 5 ~ Honesty & Sharing
-16 Steps 6 & 7 ~ Humanness & Humility
-23 Steps 8 & 9 ~ Amends, Direct or Indirect
-30 Steps 10, 11 & 12 ~ Gratitude, Prayer & Service
Series 4: “RELATIONSHIPS”
-7 What is an Addictive Relationship?
-14 How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Self
-21 How to Have a Healthy Relationship with Others
-28 Relationships & Sexuality
Series 5: “PERSONAL GROWTH”
-4 Willingness to Change & Grow
-11 Service ~ The Gift of Giving & Receiving
-18 Spirit of Gratitude & Acceptance
-25 (NO LECTURE)
Series 6: “HOLIDAY SERIES”
-2 Codependency & the Holidays
-9 Spirituality & the Holidays
-16 Relationships & the Holidays
-23 (No LECTURE)
-30 (NO LECTURE)
To join this workshop, please RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/lawofattraction-477/events/272194842/. Once you have done so, you will receive an email with the Zoom meeting link.
Below are the pertinent details about how-to access the virtual meetings for the Monday evening CoDA group:
- Time: 7:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- Day: Every week on Monday
Join Zoom Meeting
- Use the following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83852639132?pwd=ODFoMWl6MDVjSk01SmpJSk1QN0dPZz09
- Meeting ID: 838 5263 9132
- Password :811535
By: Vince DiPasquale
August is a time to kick back and reflect. We have all been through so much these past months.
A friend of mine put together some quotes of mine from the lectures I do. I would like to share them with you as food for thought.
- Look at people the way they are and not the way you want them to be.
- Attitudes are learned so all attitudes can be changed.
- Self-esteem is another form of spirituality.
- We came into this world for a purpose.
- Acceptance is facing the reality of what is.
- Never deny anyone their pain and struggle. No pain, no gain.
- If you keep it inside it becomes a mountain. Share it; let it out and it gets smaller.
- Share with someone who won’t give advice, but just be there for you.
- For every defect there is an asset. From the defects you discern your assets.
- What you can do, you do. What you can’t do, don’t do.
- Make peace with yourself.
- The grieving process begins anytime you end something.
- When you meet someone who is obnoxious remember they have come into your life to teach you what obnoxious is.
- Sometimes you must wallow in the mud until you begin to realize, it’s “mud”.
- We don’t want closure. We want to hang onto something that so we can place blame.
- Self-esteem comes from the inside out.
- Good healthy growth is 10 steps forward and 8 steps back. That’s progress!
- You have no control over anyone else.
- Nothing happens by accident.
- The sun comes up even on a cloudy day.
I hope these quotes help you see how simple life really is. Enjoy these beautiful days. Make sure you always celebrate life in the spirit of gratitude for each day!
UPDATE: Meeting Change: Anorexia and Bulimia Anonymous (Open Zoom Meeting) On Weds @ 5:30PM Moves to Tues @ 6PM
ABA – Anorexia and Bulimia Anonymous
Every Tuesdays at 6 pm (via Zoom.)
Anorexics and Bulimics Anonymous (ABA) is a fellowship of individuals whose primary purpose is to find and maintain recovery in our eating practices, and to help others gain recovery. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop unhealthy eating practices.
Vince DiPasquale (856-854-3155 x102) and Anne Cavaliere (856-266-3487)
Below are the pertinent details about how-to access the “virtual meetings” for the Tuesday 6PM slot:
- Time: 6 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- Day: Every week on Tuesday
Join Zoom Meeting
- Use the following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89499038381?pwd=RU5QNlQ0U093YUVpRFFOcHlqM3BxQT09
- Meeting ID: 894 9903 8381
- Password: 988218
- Optionally, Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/tZ0pfuCorTMpEtW2TKY7xNFh-_WfFgZnWhV5/ics?icsToken=98tyKuGhqjIjGtedsxGGRpx5Bor4XfTztlxej7dqzivOOndLTCX-e911NJR4Ktbn
Meeting has gone virtual. If interested in participating in the virtual meeting, please contact Kim at 856-341-4252.
(Emotions Anonymous (EA) is a twelve-step program for recovery from mental and emotional illness.)
CODA 7PM Thursday Meeting Is Now A Phone Meeting Via Zoom
Below are the pertinent details about how-to access the virtual meetings for the Thursday evening all-women CoDA group:
- Time: 7:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- Day: Every week on Thu, until Apr 30, 2020, 7 occurrence(s)
- Dates: Mar 19, 2020 07:00 PM, Mar 26, 2020 07:00 PM, Apr 2, 2020 07:00 PM, Apr 9, 2020 07:00 PM, Apr 16, 2020 07:00 PM, Apr 23, 2020 07:00 PM and Apr 30, 2020 07:00 PM
Join Zoom Meeting
- Use the following link: https://zoom.us/j/181577084
- Meeting ID: 181 577 084
- Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system: https://zoom.us/meeting/vJwscu6vrjMuDImapvV_UYbXGdkTmbjXdA/ics?icsToken=98tyKuigrz4tHdSdtF_9RbUqA9r7bPHMl1Vnp6JNiinaNhlRWiTyPdZPMLhHFPmB
The month of July teaches us the lessons of freedom. To be truly free we need to spend time learning to live in the spirit of awe and acceptance. In these two simple words we learn the special secret life. We have been given the gift of life from our Creator. When we stop and look at God’s creation we have to be in awe. Each day let’s learn not to take life for granted. Each of us has a purpose in this world. Each of God’s creatures are both teachers and pupils to us, if we can learn to face life’s journey with the gift of acceptance.
We are told not to limit the view of ourselves, remembering how special we are. Each one of us is a combination of talents, feelings and thoughts. Our spirit and energy give us the spark to look at life in a special way. Let’s use the words of the Tao to examine our spiritual journey though this world.
How you view yourself doesn’t limit what you can accomplish. The greatest gift we can give ourselves is to learn to embrace our history. Instead of trying to change our history, let’s learn to embrace it, accept it, and let it become our teacher. Our story, our history is the greatest book in the process of being written. Each day we write a new chapter. We are told in the Tao not to despise our history because it is the natural course of life. If we are to accept life on its terms it will pay us back a hundredfold. We are taught by the process that we will experience the real meaning of freedom. To be fully alive is to look at the world through the eyes of nature. The world we live in is a great adventure. It’s God’s gift to us and must be treated with respect. If we respect ourselves, if we honor our journey, we will be able to help others honor themselves.
The Tao teaches us that if we take time to do our work the energy of our journey will reach out to others. The 12th step of our program teaches us that if we have the courage to work on ourselves, to experience a spiritual awakening, then we will be able to carry this message of life to others by example. Remember, if we live in the spirit of life, try to look at all things through positive eyes and continue to be open to growth, we will be able to look at all things in the spirit of gratitude.
If we can face life with its struggles and joys and never lose the spirit of awe, life becomes an adventure. Let’s try to accept it on life’s terms. Try to look at all experiences with a positive attitude and life will show us the way. We are on God’s journey and our goal is to learn the lessons of life and one day hear our Creator say “Job well done. Welcome home.”
Being free is to be responsible for our life’s journey. This is the month of freedom. As you celebrate Independence Day take time to reflect on all the gifts we have. Don’t take life for granted. Get out there and live it.
God Bless you on your journey.
UPDATE: Codependents Anonymous – CODA (Coed), Monday’s 7:30 PM : Virtual Zoom Meeting (See Below For Details)
Topic: CoDA* Zoom Meeting
(*Co-Dependents Anonymous (CoDA) is a twelve-step program for people who share a common desire to develop functional and healthy relationships.)
Time: Monday at 7:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada), every week until August 31.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83852639132?pwd=ODFoMWl6MDVjSk01SmpJSk1QN0dPZz09
Meeting ID: 838 5263 9132
You may download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
UPDATE: Course in Miracles Meeting Wednesday evening @ 6:30 pm: Virtual Zoom Meeting (See Below For Details)
Topic: ACIM* Zoom Meeting
(*A Course in Miracles (also referred to as ACIM or the Course) is a recovery group utilizing peer support and a 1976 book containing a curriculum which claims to assist its readers in achieving spiritual transformation.)
Time: Wednesday @ 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada) Every week on Wednesday until ended
Meeting ID: 375 3284 154
Thought of the Month For June 2020 : “Life is such a beautiful process, let us learn how to trust it.”
By: Vince DiPasquale
As we begin the gateway into the summer months, we are asked to look at the difference between having trust in the process and controlling the process. Life is a journey which we are asked by a Higher Power to go on. Our Higher Power knows that each one of us has been given all that we need for the journey. We also have been given the gift of ‘free will’ which allows us to make choices and to be responsible for our choices. The journey we are told, will not be easy. Each one of us must face this dysfunctional world so that we can learn our lessons. The Higher Power has told us not to be afraid because God and his angels will travel with us. Many of us must choose between the external world and the spiritual one.
The external world is based on the ego (Ease God Out). We can so easily make external things into our gods such as money, greed, and riches. Remember the more toys we possess the more worry and fear of losing them will control our lives. Would you rather leave behind possessions for others, or the gift of your spirit which will live forever? God has created us to be spiritual beings. At times because of hurt, fear, shame and guilt we are stuck in looking at life in negative terms. We are reminded by all the great teachers that everything in life that is worthwhile must be worked for. Struggle is not a negative term; it is the pathway to new discoveries on life‘s journey. For every negative in life there is a positive.
Let’s reflect on different periods of history, from the Roman empire to all the great wars and armies. Imagine all the lives that were lost over the attitude of trying to control external things. Each of the empires in time died or will die because they are based on greed and possession.
We are taught in the recovery program to let go and let God. We are given the beautiful gifts of the 12 steps: powerless, acceptance, openness, willingness to change and grow, gratitude, sharing and service to others. These are all the spiritual gifts. What is our attitude towards life? Are we always trying to figure it out to make sure we are in charge or do we find it more challenging and rewarding to go with the flow? If we are open to God’s will for us, then no matter what happens, we will discover the rewards. God sends us teachers and messengers each day. We are being led. The 12 steps give us the gift of faith. Do your work and try to look at life through the eyes of such great teachers as Saint Francis, Theresa of Avila, Saint Augustine, Thomas Merton, Lao-Tzu, Dr. King and all the other recovery teachers like Bill W, Dr. Bob, Lois and the other founders of AA. They were great prophets who came into this world to carry a message of some simplicity and hope. Each one of us has been asked to be a prophet today. We are asked to look within, to be in touch with all the wonderful gifts we have and to have the courage once we have done our work, to share it in service to others knowing we will receive more gifts in return. Our prayer each day should be that we try to look at life as a simple journey to be enjoyed and to be shared. If we allow ourselves to grow spiritually and look at all the people in life as teachers, we will enjoy the simplicity of each day like a child. Each day when we awake and say a prayer of gratitude and openness, we are asked to look at life through these simple slogans:
One day at a time. We only have one day, and we must live it to the fullest. Remember, yesterday is over, face it, accept it and let it become our teacher. There is no tomorrow because when it comes, it is today.
Easy does it. Take your time, be patient, everything in life that is worthwhile takes time. Growth is a slow process. My dad would say pray for the slow steady rain to nurture the crops. The cloudburst destroys. Patience is a great spiritual gift.
But for the grace of God. Always remember that some of our greatest teachers are those who are worse off than we are. Everything in life can be dealt with if we approach it with a positive attitude.
Keep it simple. The formula for life. Simplicity is the ultimate spiritual word. The simpler our lives, the more serene they are. Life is a simple journey for complicated people. Remember less is more. Do one thing at a time and enjoy the journey of life.
Summer is a time to sit back, go slow and enjoy life. Remember life is to be lived and celebrated. Let’s make time to play, socialize and just enjoy each other. Have a simple, peaceful and restful summer. May God bless all of us on our journey.
It is with much gratitude, humility and love that I say a special thank you for all the expressions of love for my 80th birthday. This was a five day birthday party! Between Zoom parties, Facebook, and some neat surprises from our director, Loretta & staff, it was great! A special thank you also, to my spirit guides; The Holy Spirit, Blessed Mother, Archangel Michael, and St. Anthony for giving me the strength and courage to be of service to others. My heart has been touched by so many!
When I woke up on my birthday, I said, “Have I really been on this earth for 80 years?” Wow, it’s been an adventure, to say the least! I thank God for all the wonderful teachers that have been sent into my life. For each and every person who has touched my life, I am grateful!
With God’s help, I hope I can continue to share my experiences with everyone I meet, one day at a time!
With prayers, gratitude and love,
By Vince DiPasquale
“All growth takes place in a family system.” We are not islands. Each of us is a book in the process of being written. Whenever we come to gather and share our story, we learn and grow from each other. Do not hide your gifts and talents, as they need to be shared in order for them to grow.
Let’s take time during this special month of rebirth to reflect on the many family systems we have all been part of:
- Birth family: they have given us the gift of life. In some early family systems they may have given us many lessons that we would understand better later. They have taught us the gift of struggle. In growing up, they have even taught us how to deal with different forms of dysfunction. Just like us, they were not perfect. They understood so much from their own history. Take time to research your parents’ history. They taught us the lessons of their own journey. I have so much gratitude today for the lessons my parents taught me. I had to get upset at them, then learn the lessons from them. Today I’m grateful for the small lessons. My Mom gave me my addictive personality, which in turn gave me the gift of recovery today. My Dad taught me many lessons like, ‘Don’t be afraid to fall down because then you will learn how to get up.’
- My Italian family and neighborhood: they gave me a strong sense of belonging. Take time to reflect and embrace your roots. Our history is our greatest teacher. I learned at an early age to be proud of my community. We took care of each other and learned from one another. We hurt, fought, and loved together. We learned that nothing stays the same. We experience growth and loss in community. We learned how to say goodbye so we could say hello.
- Religious and non-religious systems: As a child I was taught a God of fear and guilt and over the years it has become a great relationship with a God of love. Reflect on your relationship with God. I am often asked, since I was formerly a Catholic priest, if I am still Catholic. My answer is sometimes. Sometimes I’m Catholic, sometimes Buddhist, sometimes Muslim, sometimes Protestant. I can relate to them all. Take what you can use and leave the rest. Everything is always in the process of change and growth. There are no absolutes. Our faith and worship come from a sense of community. The early Christians were a true community. They shared everything and lived a simple life, based on love and sharing. They taught us to respect and honor each other as the Lord teaches ~ whatever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters, you do for me. We are equal in the eyes of God. Let’s learn to respect and honor all. The secret to real spiritual growth is to love, honor, respect and care for ourselves and others. ‘Love your neighbors as you love yourself’.
We belong to many communities as we go through life. Today I can relate to many communities. I have the privilege and honor to be a part of my blood family, my married family, my wife, my stepdaughters, my grandchildren, all gifts from God to be loved and respected. I also have a recovery community that has given me the true spirit of spirituality and love. God has given me, through them, the gift of the 12 Steps and Principles of Life. I’m humbled to be able to work in the recovery world.
Today I am also a part of a throwback community, Holiday City, where I live. It’s like living once again in the neighborhoods of South Camden and South Philadelphia. I have such wonderful friends and neighbors and I love going home. It truly takes a community to raise a child. We are all God’s children and still learning and growing. As Yogi Berra said, ‘It ain’t over till it’s over.’
We will all one day be reunited with all of life’s communities in the unseen world of God, the ultimate community.
Sending love and prayers to all. May God bless and guide us on our journey today and every day.