By Vince DiPasquale:
- Stay in the present – One day at a time.
- Repeat the 3rd Step Prayer:
God, I offer myself to You – to build with me and to do with me as You will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life. May I do Your will always. Amen.
- Keep an open mind.
- Accept reality.
- Practice patience and healing – everything in God’s time.
- Learn to detach with love.
- Forgive and make amends.
- Face fears with faith and love.
- Learn the value of loving yourself.
- Sort out and accept your feelings.
- Ask for help from God and others.
- No more secrets: honesty, humility, human, and healing.
- Share with those you trust.
- Develop positive relationships.
- Recognize the need for family spirit.
- Have willingness to change and grow.
- Embrace your heritage and history with love.
- Build healthy relationships with your body, mind, and spirit.
- Have gratitude, humility, acceptance, and love.
- Learn to let go and let God.
- Live and practice the principles of the 12 steps.
- Relax and enjoy life.
- Try not to take life too seriously.
- Listen to your inner child.
- Always remember to go back to the basics.
- Work on setting healthy boundaries.
- Live in the spirit of the slogans: easy does it, one day at a time, keep it simple, think, think, think, let go and let God.
- Repeat the 7th Step Prayer:
My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character, which stands in the way of my usefulness, as I go out from here, to do Your bidding. Amen.
- Repeat the 11th Step Prayer:
On awakening, we ask You, Father, to help us think about the twenty-four hours ahead, and consider our plans for the day. We ask You to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonesty, or self-seeking motives. In thinking about our day, we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take.
Here we ask You for an intuitive thought or decision. We ask that You show us all and that You give us whatever we need to take care of our problems. We ask especially for freedom from self-will. As we go through the day, when agitated or doubtful, grant us the right thought or action. Constantly remind us that we are no longer running the show. Father, help us humbly say many times each day, “Thy will be done.”
- Repeat the Serenity Prayer:
God, Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; and the Wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace. Taking as He did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it. Trusting that he will make all things right if I surrender to His will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.