Excerpts from Divining the Body: Reclaim the Holiness of Your Physical Self by Jan Phillips, “Let’s Hear It For The Ears”
By Marie B Olwell, M.Ed., D. Min.
“The body is held together by sound–the presence of disease indicates that some sounds have gone out of tune.” – Deepak Chopra
“Song is the intelligence of the universe.” – Yaqui Indian saying.
From the book:
- “Painful emotions that get locked in our body as a result of trauma can be released in many cases by certain sounds that bring them back to their original resonance.”
- “The NASA recordings of the sounds of the planets, which you can hear on line, demonstrate the awesomely beautiful ‘songs’ of our solar system.”
- “It has been proven that cows serenaded with Mozart give more milk, that plants grow best in the early morning when birds are singing, that playing Baroque music to Asian immigrants enhances their ability to learn English.”
- “When we ask someone to be our sounding board, we are asking to be heard, knowing that in that process we will come to a greater clarity about what we believe. When we feel heard, we feel healed. “
- “Listening is a sacramental act. It is an outward sign of love that brings grace and light to the moment of sharing. Alfred Tomatis was a French physician who discovered that Gregorian chants have therapeutic potential and the capacity to charge the central nervous system and the cortex of the brain.”
- “When we’re out of balance, what happens inside and around us is dissonance and discord. The beautiful melody we are meant to be becomes the scrape of fingernails on a chalkboard. Our bodies know what they need, and if we need to calm down, we don’t go for hip hop.”
Marie B. Olwell, M.Ed., D. Min.